Re: "Empty" Text Nodes

Oliver Becker wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> > The "create a structure model from this XML" step is out of
> > scope of DOM, so I'd say the spec doesn't address this.  Just
> > like it can't address whether various artifacts of that process
> > must show up (like ignorable whitespace, CDATA boundaries,
> > EntityReference nodes, comments, and so forth).
>
> The spec states (just after the TABLE example on page 11):
>
>     One important property of DOM structure models is structural
>     isomorphism: if any two Document Object Model implementations
>     are used to create a representation of the same document, they
>     will create the same structure model, with precisely the same
>     objects and relationships.
>
> If *any* two DOM implementations shall create the same structure model,
> then this model must be well defined. So I think it's not out of scope.

The _only_ way the DOM specification defines for "creating" a structure
model is to take a Document (org.w3c.dom.Document) instance and populate
it manually.  Not that it says how to get an instance of a Document!
Since it's an Interface, and not an instantiable class, even that first
step is out of scope of DOM Level 1.

So that text is fully compatible with what I said, and vice versa.

- Dave