Re: "Empty" Text Nodes

Oliver Becker wrote:

> Am I right in assuming that the structure model of a XML document
> created by a non-validating DOM implementation should be isomorph
> to that created by a validating one?
> (With exceptions regarding DocumentType of course, default values
> of attributes, entities ...)

The "create a structure model from this XML" step is out of
scope of DOM, so I'd say the spec doesn't address this.  Just
like it can't address whether various artifacts of that process
must show up (like ignorable whitespace, CDATA boundaries,
EntityReference nodes, comments, and so forth).

> My first opinion was that those Text nodes "\n" are unnecessary.

The XML spec requires "ignorable" whitespace to be reported as
such by "validating XML Processors" in certain circumstances,
but they don't apply in that particular example (no DTD!) ... so
it's not possible to get rid of them.

- Dave