RE: Definition of cloneNode method

Mike Champion wrote:

> You can't count on a DOM implementation doing anything more than
> what a very literal interpretation of the spec insists that it do,
> and a literal reading of the spec says that cloneNode() creates an
> exact duplicate, with all attribute values in the result identical
> to those in the original, with no special treatment for ID or IDREF
> attributes.

We obviously want to be able to trust the spec, but does everyone agree
with previous replies on this thread, which have departed from "a very
literal reading of the spec" for cloneNode in two ways:

(1) for shallow clone, all the navigational attributes are set to null,
and not just parentNode as stated.  This would presumably include the
various Child and Sibling attributes - what about ownerDocument?

(2) for deep clone, the recursive cloning alters all the navigational
attributes to replicate the original structure in the cloned structure
(and does not set parentNode to null in the subnodes).

Given this commonsense treatment of deep clone, I have to admit that
I share Jeff's interest in similar questions about ID and IDREF, e.g.
where the targets of the IDREFs are local to a subtree being cloned.

Thanks,

  David

David Beech			Oracle Corporation, 500, Oracle Parkway,
Consulting MTS			M/S 4op8, Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Server Technology		Phone: (650)506-6420, fax: (650)506-7582

DISCLAIMER:  Any statements made in this message are at best my own
opinions, and are not necessarily endorsed by Oracle Corporation.