RE: C++ DOM Binding

It seems to me the there is already a C++ mapping for IDL.  What appears to
be problematic concerning the W3C usage of IDL is that supplementary
language mappings are being defined.  Aside from political wangling, there
is one and only one valid technical reason for this that I am aware of,
namely the requirement to be able to map exceptions from attributes - a
feature not currently supported by IDL.  As a result the DOM IDL spec
carries a number of ambiguous exception declarations as comments in the IDL.

The good news is that proposals currently under the OMG Component technology
adoption process includes revisions to IDL to include exception declarations
on attributes.  Details of the Component proposal are available under
ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/orbos/98-12-02.zip.  With the inclusion of these
changes to IDL we can envisage a complete alignment of the activities within
OMG and W3C.

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell, OSM sarl
Business Components for Electronic Commerce
http://www.osm.net
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net