RE: RFC: White Space Handling In XML Parsing

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that whitespace should ALWAYS be
tossed just because most applications will not need it.  Clearly
it must be POSSIBLE to preserve all whitespace in the
DOM tree.  As you and Larry pointed out, whitespace
information is critical to some important applications.
I was merely commenting that it would be nice if
the DEFAULT were to toss whitespace nodes in the DOM tree,
rather than to preserve them, since most applications are
unlikely to need the whitespace nodes.  However, if it is very
easy to tell the parser in a parser-independent
way that it should toss them, then it won't
make much difference either way.

A more important issue, in my opinion, is the question of
whether different parsers should be required to produced the
same DOM tree by default.  I personally think this would be
highly desirable, as it would make it much easier to write
portable code.

David Booth
Bluestone Software, Inc.      +1 609 727 4600   ext. 1740