Re: HTML APIs

Mike Champion wrote:

> Ahhh, I see your point.  I shouldn't have quibbled with you, but just
> wanted to make the point that all sorts of HTML-ish tagged content gets
> passed off as HTML on the Web, and the DOM does NOT attempt to specify how
> that stuff gets represented to the DOM user.  In the example under
> discussion, it's probably obvious what the DOM processor should and will
> do, but I wanted to make the larger point clear to this mailing list since
> it is a VERY frequently asked question.

So there are basically two points:

1. The DOM Rec doesn't say what a DOM builder should do with invalid HTML,
and a conforming DOM implementation is allowed to make demons fly out
of your nose, and all that.

2. All valid HTML documents contain HTML, HEAD, and BODY elements even
if no such tags are present, and therefore conforming DOM implementations
must represent them explicitly as nodes.  (TBODY, which is a container
for table rows, obeys the same rules: it appears implicitly in every
TABLE element.)

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.