Re: Using the DOM with Java

At 10:26 AM 12/2/98 +0000, Fiona Cameron wrote:
>I apologise in advance if this is an inappropriate posting, or this
>subject has been covered before, but I'm new to this list.
>
>I would like to write an application in Java which uses the DOM
>interface to transfer information from an HTML page to a database.
>Reading the w3 DOM pages this seems to be the sort of thing the DOM
>is designed for.  Can anyone tell me whether the DOM/Java is ready
>for this yet - I can't see anything in the jdk1.2 documentation about
>the DOM, but maybe I've misunderstood something?

This should be possible. I think that data types will be an issue - you may
need to use some form of regular expression to infer data types from the
form of the data. And the DOM will only help you in reading the HTML pages,
it won't do anything on the database side, that's not what it's designed for.

The DOM will require you to navigate the page to access the information.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no