Re: Anybody for a server-DOM spec -> mixing DOM... etc

At 05:50 PM 8/18/98 -0400, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Claude, I'd still like to understand why removing get-next and get-previous
>from the server-dom spec would be a good thing. What harm are they doing if
>you don't use 'em? On a server, I presume your concern isn't code size.

Because they preclude or make difficult the mixing of implementations
and node sharing. Iterators are just a better solution and don't
preclude any future changes in this direction. It would be fine if
I could just count on myself not using them but I can't govern what
a remote client may expect from a supposedly compliant DOM.
I realize now I'm just going against the majority opinion now, but
it just seems kind of short-sighted to completely dismiss using
the DOM in a heterogenous distributed environment...
The document trees on my server are not just used by a single
server application but by clients, other servers, and various other engines.

I'm not really that concerned with the performance issues, since they
can be solved, but I am concerned with the parts of the DOM that
could potentially limit its use and/or expansion in the future.

Maybe Don Park is right and the DOM is not a good place to start
but there is no other public standard that comes as close.

- Claude Zervas