future DOM work

At 14/08/98 11:26 AM , Claude Zervas wrote:

>I propose that a group of interested people get together
>to define a new spec (using the current one as a base)
>that lends itself to efficient server-side implementations
>and that can share nodes between implementations.

This is something that the DOM WG is discussing doing once Level 1 (which
did have certain contraints!) is done (RSN). So any ideas you have on this
would be more than welcome. Fairly soon we're going to have to figure out
what the most important things for Level 2 are, and making life easier for
sever-side implementations is certainly on the list of things we'll be
discussing.

So, given we can only do a limited set of things at a time, and have to fix
any small bugs found in Level 1 in the next few weeks as well, where would
you put priorities? The current list for possible inclusion in Level 2 is,
in no particular order (and I've probably forgotten some):
server DOM (bad name, but no-one has suggested a better one)
CSS style object model (XSL will come later, once XSL has settled down a bit)
user interface events (all that onclick stuff)
rich queries
filters (how do I get a document tree without comments, for example)
range (how do I get part of a document)
namespace support
validation
Document context (metadata like file created date)
smaller things that didn't make it into Level 1 because we didn't want to
do it wrong; copying a Node from one Document to another is one example of
this
NodeIterator

Is there anything really important that isn't on this list?

Lauren