Re: Document cleanup suggestions

On 30 Jul 98, at 17:26, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Last set of thoughts for this pass:
>
> EntityReference says it is uses when entities _other_than_ those
> pre-defined by XML are encountered. Is this really true, and if so how do
> the predefined ones appear -- perhaps converted into their text
> equivalents and rendered within Text (or CDATA, if necessary) nodes? Or
> just left in their &entity; form?

Actually the DOM assumes that all characters are converted into
the Unicode characters before being passed to the DOM, so the
DOM never sees the character entity references. This should be
better described (we have a few of these little nits left!)

> CDATA: this interface is-a Text. That means it implements the split and
> join operations, and can be passed to them... which means a CDATA could be
> passed to Text.joinText, or vice versa. The spec doesn't mention this, and
> probably should point out that the result of such a combination, if it
> works at all, would probably have to be a CDATA due to the risk of
> containing characters that normal Text can't.

We've actually decided for this round to dump joinText altogether
due to precisely these sorts of issues - it will no doubt come back
in a future Level. You still have normalize which will join all the Text
nodes in a subtree.

Lauren