Re: AW: coping with overlapping elements in the DOM

Martin Schlöter wrote:
> I would like to suggest an approach usally used in software development
> environments (most professional class libraries are using such an approach).
> In normal "runtime mode" the browser should do it's best to show the end
> user a "normal" looking HTML documents. The HTML-engine should fix as much
> inconsistencies as possible.
> BUT: The developers/producers of Web-Browser/HTML-engines should be
> encouraged (comitted?) to implement a kind of "debug mode" in their
> HTML-Engines. Running in this "debug mode" all failures in the HTML page
> shall be explicit and obvious marked/shown as an error.

I would like to argue against this approach.

There is no way you can force them to implement the debug mode, and they
will not. We have been asking for a debug mode for HTML for what, 3
years now?

> More details on this two mode concept is found in "Writing Solid Code",
> Steve Maguire, Microsoft Press.

I always thought that book must be satire.

 Paul Prescod