Re: [dom-xpath] Competing Proposals Proposal

Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:
> It was not really intended as a submission as such... it is just convenient
> to use the W3C DTD, and would be useful if it somehow turns into a
> submission.  This is intended to be the "complete" level of proposal,
> really for debating purposes, as I outlined in my other mail.  Plus, I just
> bought a copy of XMetal, and so am trying to use XML more and more for
> stuff like this.  In any case, I had a request to remove the logo and
> copyright by one of the staff of the W3C.

I asked Scott to remove the logo and the copyright. Our communication staff is
a bit nervous (for historical and unpleasant experience reasons) when they see a
document with the W3C logo in it. I prefer to prevent any future problems than
waiting for them. In any case, the W3C doesn't have any rights on Scott's
proposal.
I also don't think that this mailing list wants to go in the formal W3C process
for the
moment.
Scott, for your next release, can you replace :
http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/W3C-WD
by
http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/TR/base
, please ?

You don't need to resend your proposal for the change. Your proposals
are already archived on our site (see [1] and [2]) so it's too late to change
them. It could be fixed in the future release.

Regarding the proposal itself, I don't see any list of user cases. In particular,
I'm thinking about one user case but I didn't find my answer yet:

Given a specified node and a specified XPath expression (with a namespace
context),
find if the node matches the expression or not.

I can already do this using the selectNodes method but it's not very efficient:
- select the list of nodes from the document element node with the specified
XPath expression.
- check if the specified node is in the list.

Did I miss the function in the current proposal or am I the only one who would
like
to see this function ?

Regards,
Philippe

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-xpath/2000May/att-0100/01-xpathapi1.html
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-xpath/2000May/att-0105/01-xpathapi2.html
--
Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), DOM Activity Lead