Re: Capitalization issues

David Faure wrote:

>On Thursday 26 June 2003 09:01, Curt Arnold wrote:
>

>>I think the most satisifactory solution would be to issue an errata for
>>L2 HTML specifying that tag and attribute names should be returned as
>>lower-case for HTML documents and change hc_staff.html to use upper-case
>>tag and attribute names (to make sure that the implementation forces
>>them to lower-case and not just preserve the source case).
>>

>I'm told that IE and Mozilla return uppercase when being in compat mode,
>and lowercase only if the doctype is xhtml or better (as is the case in
>hc_staff.html if I understand this correctly).
>This means that the above change to the spec wouldn't be precise enough,
>it's not "always lowercase".
>
>This looks like a Konqueror bug anyway: we shouldn't return
>uppercase when the doctype is html4 strict.

hc_staff.html isn't an XHTML document.  The  document type declaration
it references is an HTML DTD not an XHTML DTD, however it does XML
compatible things like quoting attributes, closing tags and using
lower-case tag names.

I tested adding a little link to hc_staff.html that displayed the
document element tag name and the result was consistently HTML for IE
even though hc_attrname and similar tests passed which suggests that it
is something after document loading that triggers the switch to "compat"
mode.

Why shouldn't you return uppercase when the doctype is HTML 4 strict?