Re: Issues brought up in the DOM WG and general principles for the future

Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:
> Given that ECMA is not a language that does not support exceptions, a
> system that is built with ECMA support and does not support exceptions
> cannot be considered conformant to the DOM. If a system does not use
> ECMA and therefore not exceptions, it is a non-issue for the DOM WG.
> Thus, the DOM TS framework will be rewritten and the workaraound must be
> removed.

Changed in DOMTestCase.js rev 1.14.
DocumentBuilder.isDOMExceptionCode(ex,code) now returns (ex.code == code).
This results in every test where an expection is anticipated to fail for all
COM-based implementations accessed from JScript.

> Default attributes: According to the DOM level 1 specification, it's not
> an error no to load default attributes. Later versions of the DOM
> require the explicit loading of default attributes. So, not loading
> default attributes should raise a warning, not an error.

If a test's expected behavior is deemed to not be required by DOM L1 Core
but to be required by DOM L1 Core, then the test should be removed from the
DOM L1 Core conformance test suite (that is removed from alltests.xml) and
added to the DOM L2 Core conformance test suite.  We also could create an
nonnormative test suite for tests failure of which is undesirable but would
not constitute a non-conformance.

However, I'm not sure what the magic phrase that makes providing default
attributes required in DOM L2 and optional in DOM L1+Errata.  It would be
good if DOM L3 could be extremely clear on the conditions, if any, that a
conformant processor could not provide attribute nodes for default values.

For example:
http://www.w3.org/DOM/updates/REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001-errata.html (Section
1.2 Interface Document)