Re: Adaption

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 04:07:53PM +0100, Rotan Hanrahan wrote:
> Consider an example: CSS-MQ can select styles on the basis of some
> device properties, and sometimes these properties can only be known
> for sure at the client. But in a mobile situation, you'd have to send
> everything to the client so that it could execute its selection
> process. Not very efficient use of bandwidth, and possibly putting a
> burden on the client CPU and memory. So the alternative is to get the
> client to send the essential data toward the server side, to avoid
> comms overheads, and possibly move the processing to a place where
> there is more CPU, memory and power.

Ok, we need to draw a line here between content and style. Are you
talking about adapting content and/or style?

> The picture represents a technique, but you are free to blur the
> boundaries. In fact, we hope to blur the boundaries quite a lot.

I'm not so fond of the proxy [2]. Why not a basic picture of what could
happen between server and client? Direct requests and responses. That's
the model I much prefer.

> It doesn't propose techniques. It explains techniques that are known,
> though the techniques are at varying levels of maturity as you will
> discover when you go "shopping" for an implementation. Pick the one
> that suits your needs and your budget. (Budget includes your time, not
> just your money.)

Shouldn't the di do more than this? Give a recommendation? There is some
techniques there which I at least think should be avoided.  It should be
a clearer guideline.

> PS: Nokia UA: A summary of the actual issues observed by you w.r.t.
> this UA might be of particular interest to the audience of this list.
> And if you care to expand on other UAs it might make for a very
> interesting report. Similar compliance reports have been done for PC
> browsers (mostly markup/css related).

I could do a compliance report, but it would take me quite a lot of time
and I do not get paid for producing such reports. :/

From what I have tested [1], I can say this. Nokia UAs accept malformed
XHTML therefore you will have to expect authors to create malformed
XHTML. I am sure some people (myself included) have assumed mobile
vendors will only implement XML parsers, forcing content authors to
write well formed XHTML. This is not the case in reality.

[1] http://dabase.com/soup/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/di-atdi/intermediate-adapt.png