RE: Comments on your contrast ratio article

Dear Chris

Thanks for the great feedback. I have now updated the article to include a statement close to the start that all RGB values refer to sRGB ColorSpace.

Thanks for the additional detail on color appearance versus colorimetric models. I'm happy that my original statement on this topic remains appropriate for the audience that my article is intended that. At the moment, I don't think most people realise that the page background colour is relevant, so my main purpose is to highlight that it does make a difference. Dark mode is becoming increasingly popular, so the importance of this topic is increasing.

Regarding the different cones, this is beautifully described by the image below (from http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/colcon.html)

[http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/imgvis/colcon.png]

I have asked the author of this image for permission to use this image in my article, as I think this would be an excellent way of addressing your feedback. If you have rights to any similar image that you can give me permission for, I'd be glad to incorporate it.

My article is aimed at a general audience, so I would prefer to avoid introducing L,M,S cones. I have however changed the text so this it talks about impaired red-sensitive cones, rather than impaired red cones. When combined with an image like the above, I'm happy that my message can be understood by a general audience without being technically incorrect.

On the topic of the contrast formula, I have been trying to find where the formula that WCAG uses to calculate contrast as a ratio came from. I traced the reference from the WCAG guidelines, which led to an ISO standard that includes the formula, but this ISO standard didn't itself give any traceable reference for where it came from. I have not thus far been able to find any traceable empirical or theoretical evidence to support this formula as a predictor of legibility/readability, so if you are aware of any such published evidence, then I would be very grateful if you could point me towards it, and then I can better update my article to reflect where this formula actually came from.

Regarding the power exponents of the luminance formula, APCA appears to use an exponent of 2.2 in its luminance formula, so I'm not quite sure I would agree with your implication that APCA copied the 2.4 exponent.

Regarding my final statement

If these models were to be adapted to specifically consider red-impaired cones, the multiplier in front of the R term would likely be much closer to 0.

I agree that this statement implies that protanopia can be simulated by setting the R channel of an RGB colour to 0, and while I accept this is an over approximation of the matter, I also don't want to overcomplicate the message that I'm trying to get across. I have now slightly updated this statement to

If these models were to be adapted to specifically consider impaired red-sensitive cones, all of the multipliers would likely need to change, and the multiplier in front of the R term would likely be much closer to 0.

Please let me know if you have any further feedback on any of the above, and thank you for the detailed feedback sent so far.

Best wishes

Sam Waller (he, him)

University of Cambridge, Engineering Design Centre

01223 332826