Re: Normative reference to schema.org in EPUB Accessibility?

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 11:51, Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So long as the CGs understand that they’re making proposals to an
> independent project (Schema.org) and don’t have exclusive say over schema
> designs
>

> Absolutely, this is how we’ve approached the accessibility metadata to
> date. The expectation isn’t that we’ll exclusively own the properties
> themselves or have an avenue to add whatever we want. We’re only looking to
> officially reform the work we were doing that led to the submissions, which
> as far as I’m aware at this point is going to largely focus on maintaining
> the taxonomy of values that have been defined in the web schemas wiki. If
> there’s a need for new metadata in the future, we’d go through the same
> process of proposing it for inclusion.
>

> I don’t know if we want to take on oversight of all accessibility
> metadata, though. I believe the general idea was to limit the group to
> maintaining the taxonomies for the properties we’ve already submitted.
> (Framing the name and description of the group might still be a bit tricky.)

Thanks - and yes, the scope concern makes sense. One way to think about
this could be that these properties are similar to cases where a Schema.org
property is designed to take values that are specified and curated by an
external group, for example GS1.org assign product identifiers called
GTINs, and schema.org/gtin represents that.

> One question that has been raised is whether we need a separate group to
> do this or if it can be done as a “task force” within the existing
> schema.org CG. Do you have a preference?

Either can work but I think a task force metaphor works well here

I raised a request over the (north hemispheric) summer to request a new
(tech/implementor) mailing list for Schema.org, public-schemaorg-developers@
—- while this appears to now exist there’s some ongoing confusion on who is
auto-subscribed to the list. Assuming we figure this out, I would be happy
to make a parallel such list for accessibility schema terms.

I have pinged the sysreq thread on that separately, cc:ing Ivan

Dan