From: Ivan Herman
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 12:28
To: Matt Garrish
Cc: Ralph Swick ; W3C Public Archives ; W3C Chairs of EPUB 3 WG ; Philippe le Hégaret ; Avneesh Singh
Subject: Re: Normative reference to schema.org in EPUB Accessibility?

Thanks Matt. I am happy to yield to you for the various details, I only acted as a go-between. One remark, though:

  On 8 Sep 2021, at 22:35, Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com> wrote:

  The odd thing in this case is that the same people primarily responsible for
  developing the accessibility metadata in schema.org are the same people
  working on the EPUB accessibility specification. I was the editor of the
  schema.org proposal, for example, working for Benetech at the time. Charles
  Lapierre, George Kerscher, and Avneesh Singh were also all involved in the
  original proposal and are members of the WG, and Madeleine Rothberg
  represented IMS and continues to work with us on the metadata and
  implementing it in EPUB.

  So in that sense, we know that the metadata itself is stable, as we're still
  the primary maintainers even if the charter/funding of the original grouping
  has lapsed. We've been using the EPUB/publishing accessibility groups as a
  meeting space over the years.

  That said, we're currently working to create a more formal maintenance
  structure, most likely a W3C community group similar to how schema.org
  itself is maintained, as everyone recognizes the web schemas wiki page is
  dated, insufficient to the task, and lacks a formal update policy (that
  "issue tracker" link is a relic of some really old email discussions, as
  we've been logging issues in the publishing accessibility group's tracker[1]
  until we find a more permanent home). It exists because that's where we were
  pointed to document the properties when we first proposed them.

  That said, the reason why we don't reference the properties directly in the
  specification is entirely related to the process we had to follow to get 1.0
  of the specification through ISO standardization. The original IDPF version
  has the schema.org properties listed, but ISO would not recognize the
  vocabulary as a referenceable standard so the only workaround was prose
  descriptions. I'm sure everyone in the group would like to go back to
  referencing the properties directly again, as the current situation does
  nothing but add confusion. We didn't think it was an option in W3C, either,
  however.

  Assuming schema.org in itself isn't a barrier to being cited normatively, is
  the only need here to prove that the accessibility metadata itself is
  stable? If so, then I suppose the next step is to expedite the move to form
  a maintenance community group (cc'ing Avneesh).

To avoid unnecessary administration: wouldn't it be possible for the EPUB WG to formally take over the maintenance via some process? After all, the EPUB WG is now the guardian of the A11y EPUB document…

Ivan

  Given that we've been
  maintaining the metadata for years, and are known to the schema.org
  maintainers as the owners of the metadata, would formalizing the group prove
  sufficient stability?

  [1]
  https://github.com/w3c/publ-a11y/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Atype-
  schema.org