RE: Normative reference to schema.org in EPUB Accessibility?

The odd thing in this case is that the same people primarily responsible for
developing the accessibility metadata in schema.org are the same people
working on the EPUB accessibility specification. I was the editor of the
schema.org proposal, for example, working for Benetech at the time. Charles
Lapierre, George Kerscher, and Avneesh Singh were also all involved in the
original proposal and are members of the WG, and Madeleine Rothberg
represented IMS and continues to work with us on the metadata and
implementing it in EPUB.

So in that sense, we know that the metadata itself is stable, as we're still
the primary maintainers even if the charter/funding of the original grouping
has lapsed. We've been using the EPUB/publishing accessibility groups as a
meeting space over the years.

That said, we're currently working to create a more formal maintenance
structure, most likely a W3C community group similar to how schema.org
itself is maintained, as everyone recognizes the web schemas wiki page is
dated, insufficient to the task, and lacks a formal update policy (that
"issue tracker" link is a relic of some really old email discussions, as
we've been logging issues in the publishing accessibility group's tracker[1]
until we find a more permanent home). It exists because that's where we were
pointed to document the properties when we first proposed them.

That said, the reason why we don't reference the properties directly in the
specification is entirely related to the process we had to follow to get 1.0
of the specification through ISO standardization. The original IDPF version
has the schema.org properties listed, but ISO would not recognize the
vocabulary as a referenceable standard so the only workaround was prose
descriptions. I'm sure everyone in the group would like to go back to
referencing the properties directly again, as the current situation does
nothing but add confusion. We didn't think it was an option in W3C, either,
however.

Assuming schema.org in itself isn't a barrier to being cited normatively, is
the only need here to prove that the accessibility metadata itself is
stable? If so, then I suppose the next step is to expedite the move to form
a maintenance community group (cc'ing Avneesh). Given that we've been
maintaining the metadata for years, and are known to the schema.org
maintainers as the owners of the metadata, would formalizing the group prove
sufficient stability?

[1]
https://github.com/w3c/publ-a11y/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Atype-
schema.org