Re: Normative reference to schema.org in EPUB Accessibility?

On 9/8/2021 9:37 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> this type of question comes up regularly, but I did not see any clear
> cut answer.
>
> The EPUB Accessibility spec[1] has a section on package metadata[2] to
> refer to metadata like access mode or accessibility features. The
> specification defines these terms in general, meaning that it is not
> properly defined which terms are to be used in a real metadata
> instantiation; this is left to the separate WG Note on a11y
> techniques[3] which reveals the thinly veiled fact that, in practice,
> these general terms refer to their equivalents in schema.org
> <http://schema.org>[4]. Indeed, all the terms defined in [2] are,
> actually, defined in schema.org <http://schema.org>, and those are the
> only mappings for those terms. Those terms are not out of the blue,
> actually: they have been developed, originally, in cooperation with the
> IMS Global[5] and are now maintained on [6].
>
> The reason of this somewhat weird setting in [2] is to avoid normatively
> referring to schema.org <http://schema.org>.  Actually, the
> accessibility spec has an earlier version published at the ISO, and in
> ISO land it was a clear no-no to do so. However, W3C is meant to be more
> flexible and therefore the question does arise. However, our document on
> normative references[7] is not 100% clear cut for me.
>
> Hence this mail: does W3C has an official position as for a normative
> reference to schema.org <http://schema.org> terms?

Our position will be driven by our guidelines:
 https://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references

This is never a clear cut and it varies based on different factors,
including the stability of the referenced parts, status of
implementations, or opportunities.

> Specifically, is it
> possible to simplify [1] and make a clear reference to schema.org
> <http://schema.org> instead of the hand-weaving approach we have there
> currently? In case of a positive answer, can we, possibly, add a
> reference to schema.org <http://schema.org> in [7] just as we do with
> the WhatWG?

It's possible that Ralph is a lot more familiar with schema.org than I
am and feels he has enough information to give guidance.

Otherwise, you'll need to provide an analysis of the references based on
our guidelines. In such case, I recommend that you (or someone from your
group) go through each question raised in our guidelines and provide an
answer (extra point is given if those are publicly documented).

Philippe