Fwd: UAX#50 conformance: Is it possible to update existing fonts without causing damage to existing non-CSS applications?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Taro Yamamoto <tyamamot@adobe.com>
Date: 2019年12月24日(火) 13:51
Subject: Re: UAX#50 conformance: Is it possible to update existing fonts
without causing damage to existing non-CSS applications?
To: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, fantasai <
fantasai@inkedblade.net>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Nat McCully <
nmccully@adobe.com>

Murata-san,

I exported your Excel file into a csv file. After modifying the format a
little, I wrote a script to convert it to a PostScript file with vertical
glyphs specified by the ‘vert’ feature. I attach its PDF version.

Nat and I are internally investigating this issue nwo, checking our own
fonts. I guess that based on it, Nat will restart the discussion with more
concrete data.

But please note that our members in the United States have already entered
the year-end holiday season.

Some of your colleagues are also in the holiday season already, I guess.

Best wishes for your merry Christmas and happy new year!

--Taro

*送信元**: *Makoto MURATA <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
*日付**: *2019年12月24日 火曜日 11:54
*宛先**: *Yamamoto Taro <tyamamot@adobe.com>, fantasai <
fantasai@inkedblade.net>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Nat McCully <
nmccully@adobe.com>
*Cc: *Makoto MURATA <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, "www-archive@w3.org" <
www-archive@w3.org>
*件名**: *Re: UAX#50 conformance: Is it possible to update existing fonts
without causing damage to existing non-CSS applications?

With Yamamoto-san's help, I created a CSV file containing a tuple
containing:

- Unicode code point
- Unicode character
- CID (AJ1)
- cmap (UniJIS2004-UTF32-H or UniJISX02132004-UTF32-H)
- vert (AJ1 template)
- UAX#50 Tr/Tu/R/U
- draft SVO

It is available at:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An5Z79wj5AZBgrkx0ohHD0zDhqCxxQ?e=ufWyFu
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2Fu%2Fs!An5Z79wj5AZBgrkx0ohHD0zDhqCxxQ%3Fe%3DufWyFu&data=02%7C01%7Ctyamamot%40adobe.com%7C2c6cb52499ed4fc327a808d7881c9394%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637127528627254575&sdata=BLJKp3zcT0RpuijkBt%2F7phGuNYkKFwqQndNu8Zxn3SA%3D&reserved=0>

   1. Four Tr or Tu characters lack vert.  U+3030 〰 is
   particularly problematic.  Unlike the Adobe template, MS Mincho
   specifies the vert feature for this character.
   2. Many R characters have the vert feature, and is thus cannot
   be displayed as specified in the Unicode code chart.  U+2016 ‖ is
   a well-known example.  MS Mincho does NOT specify the vert feature for this
   character, though.
   3. Many SVO=R characters lack the vert feature.

Regards,

Makoto