Fwd: UAX#50 conformance: Is it possible to update existing fonts without causing damage to existing non-CSS applications?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: 2019年12月11日(水) 8:41
Subject: Re: UAX#50 conformance: Is it possible to update existing fonts
without causing damage to existing non-CSS applications?
To: fantasai <fantasai@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Taro Yamamoto <tyamamot@adobe.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>,
Nat McCully <nmccully@adobe.com>, MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <
eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>

Folks,

Here is my plan.

   - In an APL seminar (January) for publishers, I will point out this
   issue.  This is to make publishers aware of this issue.
   - In another seminar (Februrary) of Japanese Character Information
   Technology Promotion Council (CITPC), I will repeat the same talk but put
   more emphasis on technical issues.  This is to tell font vendors that
   publishers care.
   - A subcommittee of CITPC, which is chaired by me, investigates ALL
   characters in JIS X 0213 carefully.
   - In the JWG, we will discuss possible solutions.  I expect that  some
   enhancement to OpenType is needed.  This will take at least a year.
   Probably, two years.
   - Of course, I will keep in touch with Taiwanese.  Should somebody from
   HongKong be involved?
   - Some errata to Writing Modes or even the 2nd edition can hopefully be
   published by W3C.

Regards,
Makoto

--