Re: distinct name for whatwg's latin1

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Buck Evan <buck@yelp.com> wrote:
> We spoke about this ages ago, but I'm trying to bring some closure to it.
> http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2014-m01/0046.html
>
> Given that I won't be able to budge Guy Steele on updating
> windows/cp1252.txt[1], it seems we should give a distinct name to the
> whatwg's definition of windows-1252.

We cannot change the name. Both the label "windows-1252" and the name
"windows-1252" are exposed and used by the very large corpus of web
content.

I recommended you could use "web-1252" (though "bestfit-1252" might
also be good choice) within Python, where you may not have such
compatibility constraints.

However, I don't understand the objection from Guy Steele. As far as I
know Windows and Internet Explorer implement windows-1252 per the
Encoding Standard.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/