RE: Suggestions for opening up PF

Alex Russell  wrote:

> Discretionary confidentiality leads to over-protection for
> all the wrong reasons. If the need is truly so little, then
> the bar should be high.

I think we are in general agreement. I only suggest that the ability to make
some discussions confidential within the PF realm acknowledges the fact that
there may be times when discussions around legal conformance (or a member's
lack thereof) would introduce fits within the member organizations legal
department(s). Having recently worked for a large US-based financial
organization, I know firsthand the sensitivity attached to such comments.

If we are to have valuable discussions around accessibility issues, then we
should also ensure that when required, a mechanism is in place to shelter some
of these comments from a completely open public record. I do not see this as
any different than communication policies at some of our largest tech
organizations (such as Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and Google) where employees do
not comment on what may or may not be coming, or offer comments around certain
technical decisions.

To put it bluntly, if you cannot confidentially admit to accessibility issues,
then how can we collectively seek to address them? When it comes to legal
issues, admitting guilt with the additional proviso that you want to change
does not in any way remove the failure to meet the legal requirement. Forcing
member organizations to publicly admit legal non-compliance won't foster more
openness, in fact it will likely have the reverse effect and shut down dialog
for fear of legal recriminations.

For that reason, I could live with 99% open - the world is never 100% perfect.

Cheers!

JF