> Regards
>
> SteveF
> HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>
>
> On 8 April 2015 at 15:49, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
>
> > Steve:
> >
> > Thanks for your list of suggested improvements to PF's process.
> >

> > I believe all points you raise have been previously considered. They
> > stand as they are because of previous group decisions. Clearly, we might
> > have a different view now. So, it's reasonable to ask us to reconsider,
> > and we will do that as a group.
> >
> > A few comments on particulars in line below ...
> >

> > Steven Faulkner writes:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I know some of these have been raised and are 'in process', but the
> > process
> > > appears to be moving slowly.
> > >
> > > The following are some suggestions that I think would provide easier
> > > collaboration between the PF and other working groups and contributors at
> > > the W3C. Note: these suggestions are personal and are not intended to
> > > represent the views of my employer
> > >
> > > Public-PF mailing list [1]: allow non PF members to post to the list. We
> > > have had situations in the past where members of the TAG (and other
> > working
> > > groups) have been unable to respond to technical discussion occuring on
> > the
> > > public PF list. This has lead to loss of technical input on important
> > > accessibility related developments.
> > >
> > > PF issue tracker [2]: Allow anyone to read the issue tracker  if the work
> > > of the group occurs in public space there is no need to have the issue
> > > tracker in member only space. Anybody that is not a member of the PF who
> > > wants to follow a particular issue cannot currently, this is an
> > impedement
> > > to collaboration and development.
> > >
> > > Recommend the primary method of public & inter WG comment be via bugs
> > filed
> > > on the various sepcifications, this makes tracking and responding to
> > > technical issues raised easier for the people doing the technical work.
> > >
> > > WAI-liason list [3]: This list appears to consist primarliy of responses
> > > PF  comments on other WG specifications (which reside in the public
> > space),
> > > yet this list is in member only space, it does not make sense.
> > This is not a PF list.
> >

> Regardless of whether it is officially owned by PF its sole traffic appears
> to be PF tech review related. So suggest moving this traffic to a public
> list.

You're barking up the wrong tree when you ask for changes in this list.
PF has no authority to do anything with the list.

> > > PF meeting minutes: remove the unecessary step of scrubbing the minutes
> > and
> > > only making them public after a preiod of time, it is in general a waste
> > of
> > > WG member and W3C staff time. If on the rare occasion the meetings cotain
> > > sensitive information ask those at the meeting if they request an
> > > opportunity to scrub prior to release.
> > Whether or not the additional step is necessary is, of course, a matter
> > of opinion. Let me point out that it was strongly requested by the
> > participants of that teleconference when our charter was last reviewed
> > because they felt it was an important safeguard.
> >

> As you say this is a time to revisit, I suggest a pf group w3c survey be a
> good method to gauge current opinion.

Perhaps a WBS, but the questions would need to include how often the
responder has participated in the Wednesday telecons.

PF has some 11 telecons weekly. No one in PF participates in all 11
calls. Yet, all 11 are doing pretty good work, imo. I frankly hesitate
to ask all of PF to micro-manage any one of those 11 subteams.

> > > Move all specs produced by PF to the 2014 process [4]
> > >
> > > Take advantage of the new W3C publishing tools [5] that are being made
> > > avialable, these tools can vastly reduce the amound of time spec editors
> > > and w3c staff have to spend in producing working drafts.
> > Already under consideration. See the pf-editor minutes.
> >

> good to hear.
>

> > > De-politicise the publication process, I have experienced on a number of
> > > occasions, the situation where specs i work on have been held up due to
> > > backroom wrangling even though there has been clear public member
> > consensus
> > > to publish. Heartbeat publications in particular should be as painless
> > and
> > > beurocracy free as possible, this will free up time for all involved.
> > I must confess I don't understand this point,and I don't see it as
> > actionable as currently presented. To my mind "political wrangling" is
> > what we do when there are disagreements. The W3C is a polity, after all.
> >

> Concrete action: W3C staff as a policy should not attempt to override
> member consensus decisions.

I'm still confused. Are you suggesting that transition requests, which
currently require Domain Lead sign-off, be dropped? If so, you're again
barking up the wrong tree. That would a W3C policy change you should
take up with the AC and even the AB.

Janina