Re: PSA: Sam Ruby is co-Editor of URL spec

[adding Mike]

On 11/24/2014 12:59 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-24 at 16:30 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>   I also don't see how Sam's proposal is
>> different.
> I believe the main difference with Sam's proposal compared to past
> attempts is the sponsorship dimension, specifically the "No editing"
> part.
>
> The W3C Membership agreement is talking about joint work developed
> between the W3C hosts and the Member. But, in the case of no editing, I
> wouldn't think that it applies.

Yes, this is part of why I said earlier that Sam's proposal has several
elements that seem to mean (AFAICT) that this is a workable solution.

But it is complex, and there are similar situations that seem to
conflict with existing agreements.  So I respect Anne's desire to get
complete clarify before we get started.  As Anne said, getting a clear
statement from W3C that there are no issues with Sam's approach is
reasonable and necessary.

Sam originally floated a proposal in his blog - but also suggested that
he was open to proposal modifications.  On one of the threads, Mike
floated a joint repo idea.  While this is attractive from the
perspective of partnering; it is possible that it might stimulate some
of the derivative spec issues which could potentially cause an issue (I
say potentially because I don't know enough about the proposal yet to
judge).

At some point, the thread should coalesce down to a specific proposal
that we all agree is the best approach (personally I thought Sam's was
pretty close to the pin already).  Once we have agreed on that - Anne is
right - we should get a clear W3C formal statement that it works.
AFAICT Sam's original proposal works and if we can agree to that - I'll
be happy to take it to formal legal review.