Re: The Movie of the Book: Re: defn of Named Graph

On 09/24/2013 01:07 PM, Jeremy J Carroll wrote:

> [...]
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>
> And once the movie of the book  grosses many millions, we all end up
> in court, arguing over who wrote the novel - contradicting the
> penultimate sentence.
>
> Sandro produces his dataset with
>
> eg:Sandro dc:creator "Sandro Hawke".
>
> eg:Sandro [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>

> I produce mine with
>

> eg:Jeremy dc:creator "Jeremy Carroll".
>
> eg:Jeremy [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>

> etc., so that the court is presented with a merge of datasets:
>
> eg:Jeremy dc:creator "Jeremy Carroll".
> eg:Sandro dc:creator "Sandro Hawke".
> eg:Dan dc:creator "Dan Brickley".
> eg:Pat dc:creator "Pat Hayes".
> eg:Gregg dc:creator "Gregg Reynolds".
>
> eg:Jeremy [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>
> eg:Sandro [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>
> eg:Pat [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>
> eg:Gregg [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>
> eg:Dan [ rdf:value
> """Once upon a time, there was a consortium, which agreed on a
> semantics for graph naming. And they all lived happily ever after. The
> END!"""
> ].
>
> ====
>
> I really don't think there is any contradiction here, even if
> dc:creator is a functional property.
> The court would have to fall back onto precedence, and I would produce
> this e-mail from www-archive and win the case!
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2013Sep/0053.html
>
> ====
>
> My point with this example is that the identity condition that Sandro

I'm confused, since the point I was trying to make is that the identity
conditions are contrived (ie lack real use cases) unless we bring in
change-over-time.

> but my use case is of a publishing system where the data being
> published is in the form of an RDF graph, and there is metadata is
> data about that graph - but not really stuff about the graph itself
> but more about the pair - the naming of the graph.

So let's go back to that.    Give me an example that shows three things:
the triples happen to be the same, the metadata must remain distinct,
and there is no change over time.    As I think about it now, I'm
beginning to think it's impossible.

       -- Sandro