Usage of the @role attribute (Fwd: IDPF event at Salon du livre)

Dear Markus,

First of all, please meet, in virtual space, Robin Berjon, one of the editors of the HTML5 spec and also fellow team member at the W3C.

Robin, please meat Markus Gylling, CTO of IDPF and also possible chair of the upcoming Digital Publishing IG.

Markus, I had some discussions with Robin on the question we were discussing a while ago you and me, on whether the @role attribute could be used in EPUB3.01 to replace the current idpf:type attribute for, say, glossary items. I just forward you the relevant issues; I let you two discuss the technical details, if any...

Begin forwarded message:

> On 27/03/2013 12:02 , Ivan Herman wrote:
>
>>> Doesn't seem to suffer from an increased verbosity issue :) Yes you
>>> can shorten the prefix, but I'm betting everyone uses the same
>>> one.
>>
>> I think Markus would be very pleased if this worked. They are
>> currently working on EPUB 3.01, and I think they would be ready to
>> move to @role if this was permitted. The reading of the standard was
>> that one was required to use only the values in
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles#role_definitions
>>
>> and it was not valid to use/define other values.
>
> I may have missed it, but I find nothing in that document to support that interpretation.
>
> I did some archaeology with Steve and looking at the really ancient drafts for @role it was explicitly meant to be extensible. But its extensibility made use of CURIEs and a bunch of XHTML2 hand-waving so that was likely lost in the mean time.
>
> I see no reason why @role would not be extensible today, simply by adding values that are properly prefixed to give some reasonably guarantees against clashes.
>
> Both Steve and I recall something from Ian indicating that he thought this was a bad idea, but I can't dig up a source for it and I can't guess at what the reason may have been.
>
> It's certainly the avenue I'd investigate.
>
> --

Markus, the 'properly prefixed' reference of Robin means to use something like

or something similar.

Cheers

Ivan

----