Re: Apologies

> Hi,
>
> I didn't realize I said to Robin that CC-BY was okay. I should have
> checked with a lawyer or at least the CC FAQ before saying anything of
> the sort. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccby makes it
> pretty clear why it's not acceptable to me. My apologies for making it
> appear otherwise.

Hi Anne,

The GNU license list says only that the two licenses are not compatible,
meaning one can't simply re-license CC-BY material under GPL. It doesn't
say that both aren't usable in the same manner; I think they are.

I understand the GPL incompatibility to be that CC-BY does not permit
sub-licensing. However, W3C in its Process and document license commits
to making technical reports available free of charge to the general
public under its document license in perpetuity. [1] Therefore, every
would-be user of the code gets a license directly from W3C, and does not
need a sub-license.

Does this help?

--Wendy

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html#dissemination

> Kind regards,
>

> --
> http://annevankesteren.nl/

Policy Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)