Re: The non-polyglot elephant in the room

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Daniel Glazman
> There are tons of things like that in the EPUB spec that don't make
> sense if you see them from our desktop browser world. Like having the
> mimetype file first in the package or using no extra field for the
> ZIP.

I actually think that part makes a lot of sense.

> Once you switch perspective and imagine you're on a very low
> end device

Sounds a lot like the excuses for XHTML for mobile back in the day.

I don’t see how low end devices benefit from first reading
META-INF/container.xml and then whatever/somewhere.opf instead of just
reading the OPF from a fixed location under META-INF. To me, the
indirection looks like architecture astronautics or useless reuse of
OASIS container.xml when no one really benefits from such reuse, since
there are plenty of other reasons why EPUB and ODF are not compatible.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi