Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> That is clear.  It is also clear that there is widespread objections. The
> chairs are actively working with W3C Management to determine how best to
> proceed.

Does an individual objection have the same weight as a member objection? I
have not seen any publicly attributable objections by a member organization
posted, though it is possible I have missed them (or they haven't been made
public).

On the other hand, I have seem quite a number of formal member approvals.

If there is a need for further input, perhaps a formal survey, answerable
by member organizations would be appropriate.

BTW, I'm also a long-time Ubuntu user, so I am also very interested in
seeing a solution emerge there. So far, I have seen no technical barrier to
an Ubuntu based browser, such as FF, implementing a user-installable CDM
extension mechanism that does not require Ubuntu to make a support or
licensing decision. Of course, it would be more ideal for CDMs to be
available to Ubuntu users under standard open source terms, but the absence
of which would not prevent a user from installing a 3rd party supplied CDM
(provided the UA supported a CDM add-on mechanism).

In my dealings with content owners, e.g., the big six studios, I have
generally seen a willingness to entertain the use of any CP system provided
they are sufficiently convinced it adequately protects access to their
content, whatever their definition of adequate is, and I have observed that
their definition of adequate has tended to change over time.

G.