Re: URL work in HTML 5

On 15/10/2012 17:49 , Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
>> URLs to non-Web things (e.g. mailto:, smsto:, tel:, etc.) happen in Web
>> contexts. Libraries written to process those in Web contexts are likely to
>> be reused elsewhere. There isn't really an option to have some of this in
>> Web use cases and something else outside of it. If it's used for the Web, it
>> *will* leak. Probably a lot, and probably fast.
>
> I agree.  But that argues that an xmpp URI seen in a jabber context
> and an xmpp URI seen in a web context should be the same; or, to
> re-iterate, that a fork would be harmful.  Changing the URI parsing in
> web contexts only is likely to be problematic because of leakage.
> Avoiding that by retaining one way is my personal preference for the
> way forward.  But if those working on web-specific specs do not agree
> and choose to fork, then we *must* mark the difference between the
> contexts, or the results will be even worse.

I think that we're in ruthlessly violent agreement here :)

At this point we have to look at what status Anne's work could be
published under. It doesn't have to be a fork, it could simply be
published as The One True Way to parse URLs (after reviews, etc.
obviously). Is that something that could be acceptable?