Re: URL work in HTML 5

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:55:45 +0200, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
wrote:

> I know there are a lot of private conversations about this, but I'd like
> to try, in the time frame of the next W3C TPAC and IETF meetings, to
> work out a solution to the issue of "forking" the URL specifications.
> Does everyone know what the issues are?

I do not believe that I know all the issues. I can think of some. But it
would be helpful to lay them out. Larry, if webapps agreed to take this in
its agenda, would you be prepared to write up what you think the issues
are so we can be prepared?

> Is everyone willing to talk about solutions?

I doubt it :)

But if a significant (naturally, as measured by me) set of people are,
that's enough for me.

> I think forking is harmful and unnecessary.

I think it carries a risk of being harmful. Whether it is unnecessary
depends on whether people are grown-up enough to work together.

> Bcc:  "public-ietf-w3c@w3.org"  IETF W3C Liaison
>            "public-webapps@w3.org" W3C Web Applications group chartered
> to work on something in W3C URL releated
>          "www-tag@w3.org" W3C Technical Architecture Group, since we
> discussed it
>         " public-iri@w3.org" mailing list of IETF IRI working group,
> responsible for IRI spec