Re: feedback on ISSUE-27 survey feedback, Re: ISSUE-27: rel-ownership - Straw Poll for Objections

On 22.03.2011 19:31, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Julian, are you commenting in an official IANA capacity here? If so,
> I'd like to cite this email as evidence that IANA has no intention of
> changing.
>
> / Jonas

Hi Jonas,

no, I have no affiliation with IANA.

That being said, your question shows that I apparently failed to explain
what I wanted to explain.

IANA has *only* an administrative role. Think of them as a secretary.

For most registries we're concerned with here (such as media types,
message headers, link relations), they *entirely* rely on what they get
from the IESG and/or the designated experts (*) for that registry.

That's why it doesn't make sense to make very general statements about
IANA. You really need to look at a specific registries; they vary in how
they are run.

Best regards, Julian

(*) Where the DEs are usually selected by the IETF Area Directors for
that area. For the registries mentioned above this is the IETF Apps area
(<http://tools.ietf.org/area/app/>). The DEs for link relations are Mark
Nottingham, Eran Hammer-Lahav, and myself.