Re: Please explain the role of the W3C in the continuing development of HTML

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 00:31 +0000, Nathan wrote:

> [...]
> channel), I want the dev and the beta channel, a large proportion of the
> web, and w3c member orgs want and need the stable channel.
>
> > The W3C does not provide this (and to my knowledge, has no plans to -- in
> > fact the W3C process doesn't have a mechanism in place for this kind of
> > thing currently).
>
> Neither the WHAT WG or the W3C provide the above, the W3C is in fact
> somewhat closer to the model because it has all the channels but still
> follows an older (and much slower) "WD/LC/CR/PR/REC" model, which is
> somewhat similar to the alpha, rc1, rc2 type release cycle in the
> software world, whilst the WHAT WG effectively only offers the
> dev/canary channel as a "living standard" with notes as to the stability
> of features.
>
> > The WHATWG spec kind of provides this, in that each section is labeled
> > with how stable it is by an annotation in the margin. We could publish two
> > specs, though, removing all the new fetures from one of them... would that
> > help? They'd still be living standards, not specs with a cycle, but we
> > could omit less stable features from one of the specs. Not sure how useful
> > it would really be, people seem to have had no trouble using the features
> > from "HTML5" long before any aspect of the relevant specs have been
> > labeled as finished at the W3C.
>
> Sorry to pop everyones bubble here, but middle 80% of the web (read as
> nearly every developer working in a web design/development agency) is
> uncatered for by both W3C and WHAT WG, they're all saying "where's HTML
> 5" and waiting for new features, some of which (not all) they could
> already be using today - for them the same scenario could continue when
> "HTML 6" is being developed. The 10% at the only very stable please end
> of the spectrum is handled by W3C (and they don't appreciate the WHAT WG
> release cycle), and WHAT WG handles the other 10% at the bleeding edge
> end of the spectrum (and they don't appreciate the W3C release cycle).
>
> WHAT WG, your living standard cutting edge developer version will always
> exist, and by definition has to, so that 10% you cater for always will
> be catered for regardless.
>
> W3C, your stable far from cutting edge version will always exist, and by
> definition has to (because there's always an old stable version
> somewhere), so that 10% you currently cater for always will be catered
> for regardless.
>
> Now, what I'm saying here, is where's the release cycle for the 80% of
> the web? the majority, the people like me.?
>
> That's the request and the void that needs filled - please, all of you
> in HTML land, work it out soon, whatever concessions have to be made.
> Even if the current status-quo of "HTML 5" LC through to REC in 2014
> stays, and the "Living Standard" stays, at least get a semi stable beta
> channel up there on /TR/, updated quite regularly (3 month rule please)
> and point to it from all angles as a reference for the rest of us.

I'd like to understand your view of the 80% a bit better.  I would like
W3C to address this group, and in my view they are indeed well addressed
by having a more agile process with releases that are far more frequent
than today.  But I don't think that the 80% will suffice with something
that is only semi stable - and I don't think that 80% needs something
every 3 months.  So I would like to understand your thinking on this
point a bit more.