Re: Request for the WHATWG draft to converge with the W3C draft

On Friday 2010-06-25 20:01 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> I'm sending this email based on a request from Ian:
>
> http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-June/026896.html
>
> My request is very specifically scoped.  Details can be found at [1]
> and [2].  The short form is that a proposal made by Lachlan Hunt[3]
> was adopted by the W3C WG based on a Call for Consensus[4], and this
> resulted in a widening of the divergence[5] between the WHATWG and W3C
> drafts.
>
> My request is that one of the following three actions be taken (listed
> in order of preference):
>
> (1) that this divergence be eliminated, and that the WHATWG draft be
> updated to reflect the consensus position.

In this particular case, while I tend to agree with Ian's views on
plugins, I think this is probably the best path forward.

I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides of the dispute
over proprietary plugins.  For them, there is the argument that they
help promote innovation in the Web platform by competing with it
from within, and help address needs that are too small to be met by
the general tools.  Against them, there is the argument that
dependence of Web content on proprietary plugins lowers the ability
to innovate and compete in the OS and hardware markets (because
users are locked in to the platforms on which popular proprietary
plugins are available) and takes away users' freedom to use access
the Web with whatever software they choose or to write software to
do so.

I think this debate belongs more in blogs and on mailing lists than
within examples in a specification.

-David