Re: Developer and Public Editions Re: Differences between the W3C and WHATWG specifications

Thanks for joining in Ian! ;-)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:42:50 +0200, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
> People who are following work closely want the freshest information
> possible. That includes mailing list discussions, specs, and so forth.
> Those who are leading the way expect people following close behind to
> keep up. ("What? You didn't read my proposal from last Thursday in time
> for Monday's call??")
>
> Other people can't keep up or that's just not their priority. I think it
> would be useful for the group (as the TAG used to do) to publish a
> monthly summary of key decisions, changes, milestone updates, and so on.
> That summary would be very helpful to some, even if it were only a rough
> approximation of the truth.

Making the Hypertext CG public would go some way towards that.

> For specs, I love Editor's drafts. I also think that snapshots are very
> useful, especially during review periods, since managing expectations
> with a moving target during a review is a challenge. So snapshots at LC,
> CR, PR are all helpful.

It would be interesting to know when exactly it is found useful to read a
draft that is no longer current. It is certainly useful to know the
history of a draft, but version control systems help with that.

> I have not yet investigated why CSS 2.1 has not been updated lately.

The reason is that we would either have to go back to Last Call or publish
errata. Either way would involve quite a bit of work. (If I remember
correctly; this was discussed a while back.)

> Anne and Henri, would you be available for a phone chat to talk about
> this task force we're running? Karl, you can come too if you want ;)

Apart from my cellphone I do not really have anything I can use at the
moment to make a call. Well, I do have Skype, but it is not working great.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/