Re: Developer and Public Editions Re: Differences between the W3C and WHATWG specifications

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:21:31 +0200, Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
wrote:
> Le 17 juin 2010 à 07:16, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>> CSS 2.1 is a good example. We've had plenty of confusion there too with
>> the TR/ version being hopelessly behind (and still is; lots of changes
>> have been made since September 2009).
>
> I guess this discussion is around the
>
> * compromise between Stability vs Implementability
> * and maybe also markup, technologies users.
>
> There are people with different needs with regards to specifications and
> the W3C has to find a way which will make it possible to cater the
> different type of communities.
>
> Usually,
>
> * implementers need a document which evolves quickly depending on the
> feedback
> * web developers/designers need a document which is stable.
>
> Maybe the W3C could "rebrand" the thing (using tools) with a developer
> edition and a public edition?
> I will ping Ian Jacobs about it. It fits into the discussions going on
> these days.

Don't developers/designers want to know the latest details too? E.g. that
"autobuffer" is now named "preload" and takes a different value?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/