Re: Request to halt the heartbeat publication of HTML5 WG Draft

On 06/10/2010 07:53 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> -public-html
> +www-archive, +Maciej
>
> Taking this off-list because it's turning into a process discussion that
> doesn't belong on public-html.
>
> On 2010-06-09 03:48, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> To have the W3C specification refer readers to another specification for
>> an exact list of differences, and to have that other specification
>> indicate that the omission was due to political reasons is intolerable.
>
> To have the HTMLWG degrade into nothing but a massive political debate,
> where decisions are made based on "proposals that create the weakest
> objections" — where you have demonstrated time and time again that that
> simply means the loudest group wins [1] — is intolerable.

If loudness were the criteria, then microdata would not have been split out.

[snip]

> [1] This has been the case with Microdata, which was split out simply to
> appease the RDFa proponents with technically weak arguments about
> fairness and "creating a level playing field". And it was the case here
> with the statement about image analysis heuristics, where you clearly
> just went with the most vocal group, rather than the most technically
> sound argument; or at the very least finding a compromise solution that
> involved rephrasing it to clarify the meaning, as I previously suggested.

It would be helpful if you were to actually read the decisions.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/att-0218/issue-76-decision.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0001.html

- Sam Ruby