Re: HTML+RDFa Heartbeat Draft publishing request

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> Could you describe the criteria by which one can recognise a mechanism
>>> for allowing the addition of independently developed vocabularies? I'm
>>> baffled as to what the point of RDFa and Microdata would be if not
>>> exactly that.
>>
>> It would be helpful to demonstrate *how* Ruby or ITS can be added using
>> RDFa or Microdata. (examples would be sufficient)
>
> Your question doesn't make sense.  Neither Ruby nor ITS are vocabularies
> designed for RDFa or Microdata, and I'm sure you are well aware of that.
>  No-one has claimed that those specific vocabularies could be added using
> RDFa or Microdata, so you seem to be making a strawman argument. You also
> seem to be avoiding the question that Hixie actually asked.
>
> Do you consider the following to be "independently developed vocabularies",
> as referred to by the charter or not?  If not, why not? What is the criteria
> you are using to determining what is or is not an independent vocabulary?
>
> * Microdata Vocabularies for vCard, vEvent and Licensing, as described
>  in the Microdata draft, and other Microformats that may be mapped to
>  Microdata by the Microformats community
>  http://dev.w3.org/html5/md/#mdvocabs
> * The Creative Commons vocabulary for RDFa?
>  http://wiki.creativecommons.org/RDFa
> * Dublin Core, FOAF, etc.
>
> Each of those could be included using either RDFa or Microdata, as they have
> been designed for doing so.
aside -

FOAF was designed to work with RDF. It could be squeezed into
Microdata but as I understand it, would look butt-ugly since property
names would be things like http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/openid

I'm not anti-Microdata btw. The item* terminology is quite nice, for
example. But I wouldn't want to recommend people encode FOAF in it
without deciding on a namespace URI abbreviation mechanism...

Dan