Re: Updating "Recommended list of DTDs"

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:17:10 +0100
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
Hi Simon,

Le lundi 21 décembre 2009 à 12:50 +0100, Simon Pieters a écrit :
> Can http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html be updated?

Sure — see my responses below.

> I have several concerns:
>
>   * It lists doctypes, not DTDs.

It now says "doctypes" instead of DTDs.

>   * The template uses lang=en but people use the template for other
> languages without changing lang. (Adding text to encourage people to
> change lang doesn't really help since people copy examples and don't read
> text.)

I have removed the lang attributes.

>   * The template includes the XML declaration, which triggers quirks mode
> in IE6.

Removed.

>   * The template uses a meta tag that has no effect in most browsers and is
> invalid in HTML5.

Removed.

>   * The three doctypes for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 are written after each
> other, causing people to copy-paste all three.

Split.

>   * It recommends doctypes that I would not recommend. I would recommend
> (for text/html) one of HTML5, HTML 4.01 Strict or possibly XHTML 1.0
> Strict. (For XML I would recommend no doctype.)

I've split the list into various sections that clarifies which are
needed, which are optional, which are historical, etc; I have also added
the HTML5 doctype, marking it as "non-standard yet".

>   * "List of DTDs for the CSS validator." seems like a bogus empty section
> that should be removed.

Indeed, removed.

>   * "Authoring tools MUST NOT use the following list." seems out of place
> and should probably also be removed.

Agreed, removed as well.

Dom