Re: buggy WebIDL parser for Exceptions in ReSpec

Hi Dom,

On Apr 12, 2010, at 15:03 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> It seems that the WebIDL parser in ReSpec wrongfully expects exception
> fields to be marked with the "attribute" keyword, when the WebIDL specs
> doesn't:
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#prod-ExceptionMember

Indeed, that's a stupid mistake I seem to have made.

> As I've corrected the WebIDL in FileWriter (and was about to apply the
> same fix to the FileReader API), ReSpec now reports a problem in the
> WebIDL of that document:
> "Expected interface member, got: unsigned short code"
> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/file-writer.html

This is now fixed. It may however be a breaking change — which worries me. More on that elsewhere.

> (I spotted that problem by runing FileWriter through the WebIDL checker;
> I hope we can revisit the topic of better integrating ReSpec and the
> checker at some point:
> http://www.w3.org/2009/07/webidl-check?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%
> 2F2010%2FWD-file-writer-api-20100406%2F&input=&output=html
> )

I'd like to include a "self-validate" command to ReSpec. It would take the content, POST it to pubrules, WebIDL checker, link checker, etc. and show the results. It's on the TODO list somewhere :)

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards