Re: Proposed W3C Spec Conventions

Doug Schepers wrote:

>> Also, IMHO <code> should also be acceptable
>>    in place of <i> when marking up bits of code rather than bits of
>>    English.
>>
>> 4. Use <code> for your code markup, not <span>. That means attributes,
>>    elements, values, etc.
>
> IIRC, <code> wasn't consistently stylable, which is why the SVG WG used
> the more complicated nesting of <span
> I'd be very happy to simplify the markup (which I have done in the new
> draft).

I have no idea what issues you were having with <code> not being styleable.
I've never run into such problems myself.

Maybe you're complaining about things like
not working? That would be because the markup is invalid.

> I actually made a typo by leaving them out in the example, which I've
> now corrected.
>
>> Did you know!? <code> can accept the 'class' and 'id' attributes.
>
> Yes, I sometimes do that, but didn't in the rough draft document since I
> was trying to show code in an example block.  I could make an example
> that uses just <code class="foo">, if you think it would help clarify.

Code in an example block should be inside a <pre>, certainly. What
that you had. The span is excessive.

~fantasai