Re: Some random ideas around (broken) XML

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Karl Dubost wrote:
>> # PRODUCING BROKEN XML
>>
>> The fact is that many atom feeds are broken for many reasons.
>>
>> * edited by hand
>> * created by templating tools which are not XML producers
>> * mixing content from different sources (html, db, xml) with different
>> encodings
>>
>> It means when designing an atom feed consumer, implementers are forced
>> to recover the broken content to be able to make it usable by the
>> crowd (social impact). Second part of the postel laws "Be liberal in
>> what you accept".
>
> Are you *really* sure about that? My understanding is that there are
> popular Atom consumers that require proper XML (except for the RFC3023
> issue), and that falling back to handle broken XML is actually not
> needed (opposed to RSS).

That *might* be the case for AtomPub, but my experience is that there
are a few feed consumers that require well formed XML (Microsoft's RSS
Platform and Dare's RSS Bandit come to mind), and those that do require
it both for all flavors of RSS and for Atom.

> BR, Julian

- Sam Ruby