Re: minutes: HTML WG Weekly 21 May 2009 [draft]

-public-html
+www-archive

On Mon, 25 May 2009 15:15:18 +0200, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> One side said @summary was not solving a real problem. A survey of
> existing web content showed that the attribute was rarely used and not
> a cowpath. @summary technique was needlessly complex and used
> incorrectly. Features should be media independent. The requirements of
> people with disabilities can be handled with universal access.

I searched the mailing list for summary and cowpath/cow path and couldn't find any email where someone said the reason summary has not been included is the result of paving a cowpath.

I think one of the primary arguments was that summary would do more harm than good because it is so often used incorrectly. Multiple independent surveys of Web content found this.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/