Re: Some notes on SVG parsing in HTML 5

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:02:46 +0200
Cc: "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au>, "www-archive@w3.org" <www-archive@w3.org>
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
On Feb 26, 2009, at 02:04, Simon Pieters wrote:

>>> Parsing this document:
>>>
>>>  <!DOCTYPE html>
>>>    <head>
>>>      <title></title>
>>>    </head>
>>>      <svg>
>>>        <circle r='100'/>
>>>      </svg>
>>>
>>> would be non-conforming, since the <svg> tag is missing an
>>> xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' attribute.
>>
>> No, xmlns is optional. If it is preset, it must have the right
>> value, though.

BTW, what gives a *parser-level* error can be experimented with using http://html5.validator.nu/
  and how things might work in a browser can be experimented with
builds from https://build.mozilla.org/tryserver-builds/2009-02-20_08:19-hsivonen@iki.fi-try-88f0b7c3382/
  (these builds have issues with nested scripts, so don't try that ;-).

>>> There's a comment <!--XXXSVG need to define processing for </
>>> script> to
>>> match HTML5's </script> processing --> but I'm not sure what
>>> processing
>>> this means.
>>
>> See: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tree-construction.html#parsing-main-incdata
>>
>> Basically, it says how to run the script in a way that is
>> compatible with how browsers have to do it for HTML (in the face
>> of, say, an external script that document.writes another external
>> script that document.writes something).

I've implemented things in such a way that SVG </script> triggers
execution in exactly the same way as HTML </script>.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi