Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:40:36 +0000
To: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>, www-archive@w3.org
Rob Sayre wrote:
> [...]
>
> <http://code.google.com/webstats/>
>
> Is a good survey. Looks like there are a lot of alt attributes out
> there. I wonder how many are empty, and how many are valid according to
> the requirements in Hixie's draft (difficult to measure!)

 From a different data set (the pages from dmoz.org about a year ago) I
got <http://philip.html5.org/data/alt-lengths.svg>, which shows
something like 43% of image elements having empty alt text.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0536.html has
some more details.

 From another different set (130K of the pages from dmoz.org about a
month ago (which reflects changes in its list of pages, more than
changes in the pages themselves)), 541634 out 1301287 image elements
(42%) have empty alt text, so it seems fairly consistent.

(I've never actually looked at any of these images, so I don't know how
many are valid.)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk