Re: ISSUE-4: Versioning, namespace URIs and MIME types

-public-html
+www-archive

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:18:39 +0100, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 03:35 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> [...]
>> In conclusion: XHTML5 does not have a new conflict with XHTML2 even if
>> both use the same namespace. The conflict, insofar as there is one that
>> matters, already exists between XHTML1 and XHTML2, and exists
>> irrespective
>> of XHTML5. I believe this issue to therefore be out of scope for the
>> HTML5
>> specification, and do not propose to do anything about it (except for
>> changing the "relationship to XHTML2" section if they do indeed publish
>> version of XHTML2 that reuses the same namespace).
>
> It seems they did publish such a draft:
>
> "Change XHTML 2.0 namespace to http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
>  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/

That's from "Issues". The normative text is:

   The start tag of the root element of the document must explicitly
   contain an xmlns declaration for the XHTML 2.0 namespace [XMLNS]. The
   namespace URI for XHTML 2.0 is defined to be
   http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2/.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software