Re: Media types for XHTML 1.x document

Hi Larry,

nice summary of the chain of delegated authorities in the history of
text/html and application/xhtml+xml.

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 11:48 -0800, Larry Masinter wrote:
> [...]        The W3C makes decisions under the published W3C process,
> where publication of W3C recommendations are made through approval of
> the Director, who gets the advice of the Advisory Committee and then
> decides. Director decisions can be appealed to the advisory committee,
> if there is some disagreement with the directors assessment.

While we're here (and in case you're not aware of it), W3C also has a
process to request approval of media types from the IESG [1]. Given that
text/html and application/xhtml+xml are both RFCs, I'm not quite sure if
W3C has the option of asking that the media types link directly to the
W3C Recommendations in the future but we can ask the IESG if the time
comes to do something about the RFCs.

> [...] normative overlap between different W3C committees (WebAPPS vs.
> HTML, HTML vs XHTML) is a problem.

And that's the case we're in.

Philippe

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html