Re: Decision Policy [was: Intended Audience]

Maciej Stachowiak 2009-02-02 05.05:

> On Feb 1, 2009, at 4:36 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Lachlan Hunt 2009-02-01 03.30:
>>> -public-html
>>> +www-archive
>>> That is not the definition of a strawman.  A strawman is an argument
>>> where one person misrepresents another's position so as to be easily
>>> refuted.
>>
>> Avoiding the point(s), for the benefit of one's own point(s), but
>> still making it seem as if one were on topic. That is a straw man.
>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

>>> Sorry, that's not a strawman either.  Maciej was just pointing that
>>> the he largely agreed with what Sam wrote, except for one small part.
>>
>> You (and Majiej) make it sound as if there is any difference between
>> saying
>>
>>     "I disagree in point x."
>> and
>>     "I agree, except in point x."
>
> Regardless, a strawman is misstating someone else's position. If I
> misstated my own position, then that may be inconsistent, mistaken, or
> positively deceptive on my part, but it is not a strawman argument.

When I said "strawman", then I used the definitino we had been
given - and which I happen to think was a good one as well.

While it seems you had not just one, but two disagreements with
Sam. (Second being the strawman definition.)

> This is an example of why it is a terrible idea to encourage people to
> accuse each other of fallacious arguments. We are now debating the
> definition of "strawman" and what is and isn't a strawman argument,
> instead of any point of substance.

Third being that you don't like the idea that we should look out
for strawmen arguments either.

It is a logical fallacy to say that we land in a debate about what
strawmen is - when the proof for that is yourself.
--
leif halvard silli